Acid-etched glass for spandrel applications
Walker Textures® Opaque acid-etched glass to consider in spandrel applications
Spandrel covers are an essential part of the building envelope. Its impact on the overall aesthetic is not to be taken lightly.
Considerations such as matching the vision panels are at the heart of design decisions. Options other than the traditional spandrel are often sought. Walker Textures® Opaque acid-etched glass, being a darker finish, can be used in spandrel settings using insulating glass units or shadow boxes.
For spandrel conditions and non-vision areas that still require some natural light, the use of single sided or double sided Opaque finish can provide the appropriate concealment effect, among other benefits and will significantly reduce glare while adding greater depth to the glass.
The Advantages in Using Acid-etched Glass Opaque Finish in Spandrel or Other Exterior Applications
- Can be used in all 4 positions of the insulating glass unit
- Can be back painted, laminated, heat treated and more
- Available on one or two faces depending on the level of opacity needed
- Can be produced on various glass substrates such as clear, tinted and low-iron to match the overall design of the building envelope
- High resistance to wear; covered by a 10-year warranty
- Unique visual appearance
To learn more about the innovative use of the Opaque finish in exterior applications and see more acid-etched glass examples in spandrel applications in our project gallery:
Is Walker Textures® glass the right solution?
To receive product samples, a free copy of our white paper entitled "The Top Five Issues to Consider when Writing Acid-etched Glass or Mirror Specifications" and subscribe to our monthly newsletter, please fill out and submit the following form.